BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 23, 2009

Life imitating Art

Kanye West & Spike Jonze



This  short-film shows Kanye in a new light, well not for me as I never felt he deserved the heavy criticism he received  for his outburst at the VMA's . I always felt there was a deeper reason for his self-indulgent persona. Showing innocence and at times reminiscent of our favorite loner Max, Where the Wild Things Are, West seems to be tackling loss and isolation.  My assumptions prove correct as Jonze admits that certain scenes in this film, where Kanye is seen stumbilng across the club in a drunkward way, were shot a year before the VMA's.  The film ends with West commiting Seppuku, a form of Japanese ritual suicide by disembowelment. If this ending doesn't evoke sympathy for the troubled star then frankly I don't think anything else will. 


We Were Once A Fairytale



“We rehearsed the night before we shot, and talked about trying to get to that raw place, that sad, pathetic, drunken, lost place,” Mr. Jonze said. “I told him, the more shameless it is, the more pathetic it is, the better. He just went for it.” Spike Jonze
...AND THAT HE DID!

0 comments: